Enter your name and email address for updates from Disability Dialog

Flipping the Employment Script

By: Fenway Park

Young woman working with cleaning supplies

For two decades, the unemployment percentage for individuals with disabilities has hovered around 80% leaving only 20% employed. Erskine Green Training Institute (EGTI) has been working to flip the script ever since opening their doors in January of 2016. Located in Muncie, Indiana, and housed within the Courtyard by Marriott, EGTI is a postsecondary training program for people with disabilities to empower and lead to meaningful employment.

EGTI provides 10 and 13-week vocational training programs in a variety of jobs within the hospitality, food service, and healthcare environments.

 

Hospitality:                                                                 

  • Heart of the House        
  • Front Desk Agent        

 

Healthcare:                                                                                    

  • Environmental Services
  • Nutrition Services
  • Patient Transport
  • Supply Chain: Inventory Distribution

 

Food Service

  • Kitchen Cook
  • Host / Server Assistant
  • Dishwasher / Server Assistant

 

During the 10 – 13-week training sessions, students attend class, master key job skills, and gain valuable work experience through an internship.

EGTI’s programming is designed for individuals whose academic, social, communication, and adaptive skills are affected due to a disability. Most applicants would have received special education services in the K-12 setting and exited their secondary school with a diploma, GED, certificate of completion, or dropped out.

Upon graduating from EGTI, students return to their hometown to obtain employment with the support of a job coach. After three years of operation, EGTI has graduated 126 students with an employment rate between 78% - 81%. Not only are students obtaining employment, they are motivated to continue working on other goals such as independent living and driving. 

See a training session in action: https://youtu.be/nTvfQQoNI34 .

Attend one of our monthly General Tours for a presentation and facility tour.

Contact us at info@egti.org with questions.

The 65+

Population in the U.S. is predicted to grow by roughly 90% between 2010 and 2040

Hamilton Lombard, Demographics Researcher UVA

People with disabilities are the largest minority group any person could join at any time